Thursday, August 18, 2011

Ryan Air Anyone?

I have heard so many stories about Ryan Air and other budget airlines. Lets start with Ryan Air it is a budget airline, and you should expect to get what you pay for. But if what you are paying for is just to get from point A to Point B no frills needed, then you are in business! If what you think you are paying for is top notch service and extras than you should look at Virgin Air.

My favorite Ryan Air story comes from a co-worker. You see the airline does not assign seating, so first on the plane gets the best seat. And they board everyone at once (with one exception) and from both ends of the plane. So his story goes like this: Everyone gets checked in, and gathers outside the gate on the tarmac. An attendant unhooks the stantion, and everyone starts hauling ass to the airplane. No holds bars mad dash to the plane, children and elderly be damned, everyone for themselves kind of thing. I think-"well that just adds to the experience!". If you have a Ryan Air (or other budget airline) story, please share it in the comments-I'd love to hear it!

Let me tell you something...when Italians are confused and start asking you questions about how the airline works and if they are in the correct line, you should be concerned. When tell them in your best Italian (which is horrid) that you are in line for flight 1234 and hope you are correct and they take your advice-worry more. Low and behold my sucky Italian actually got me in the correct line, but not before I creeped up on other passengers to sneak a peek at their boarding passes just to be sure. And that one exception I mentioned before? For like 5 euros you can get priority boarding, which to me seems worth it, but at a 70% increase to my 7 euro ticket, I guess it is kinda steep. At the end of the saga (yeah, there were delays) my 5 extra euros got us all exit row seats, for far less than what American charges. And since our flight was just over an hour, it was all worth it. If you are flying a short flight and don't care about frills, I would highly suggest trying Ryan, if you are in for a long haul, I would seriously weigh comfort vs price, because sometimes, the extra $200 is well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment